Tuesday 8 July 2014

Why am I doing this?

Striking advantages over "ordinary" Food

As soon as I heard about Soylent  I was deeply intrigued, mainly for these three reasons:
  •  Saved cost - and by this I dont just mean money. Time and brain-power invested are also considered "cost" by me. My current estimate is that I'll cut my spending on food as if divided by four. The other costs are harder to quantify, but I expect significant relieve from not having to worry about proper nourishment every day and likely over an hour or two saved time each day (this includes time to get to food or clean up afterwards).
  • "Real" food not lost - Soylent still allows me to eat ordinary food when I really feel like it. I even suspect this is going to increase my appreciation for and my enjoyment of ordinary food, since I'll only eat ordinary anymore to specifically taste or experience something. Most likely the social aspect of ordinary meals is also going to get more focus from my side - which, again, should increase the quality of it.
  • Proper nourishment - this is probably the biggest advantage from my view point. I don't suspect that what I am currently eating on a daily basis provides me with all the macro- and micronutrients I'd need. Therefore, even if Soylent is not perfect, it is hopefully still going to be healthier than my status quo. 
Sadly I had to discover that Soylent wouldn't be shipped internationally for who-knows-how-long and that they were already weeks behind with their current orders. But luckily Soylent is "open-source" and has a ever growing DIY-community. For my experiment I'll go with a slight variation (due to what I can locally get in addition to what I ordered from Amazon) of the currently most popular recipe "People Chow v3.0.1". More detail concerning my recipe will be in a future, already drafted, post.

A blog to spread information

Logically I immediately started searching the internet for more information on the topic - to be honest it sounded a  bit too good to be true and to not already exist. However I wasn't satisfied with most sources as many were very clearly biased - lacking in logical arguments, not providing any hard data and with very obvious intentions. I was able to find out a lot but it left me with a bad "after-taste". And there were not as many longer experiments published as I expected. To do my part I decided on creating this blog. 
Hopefully someone finds it at least interesting if not even useful.
I clearly like the product and the idea, however, it is of highest importance to me to stay critical and objective on this blog. For this reason I plan to back up my personal opinion during the experiment with hard data such as sleeping patterns, weight-tracking and heart-rate measurements. More detail on my testing and tracking methods will be in a future post as well.

1 comment: